Words of a Fighter

Words of a Fighter

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Update from Tuesday Night and Wednesday...Another Surgery Today

Let me start by saying Thank you to everybody who made it to the drumming/glowstick vigil last night. It was really amazing when I pulled into the parking lot and heard the thunder of the drums. I had no idea it was going to be so touching. Thank you to those who wanted to come, but couldn't for whatever reason. We know you're still praying for my Dad and the rest of us.
Yesterday ended up being a really good day for my Dad and the rest of the family. He was able to speak very briefly to Linda and Josh while the speech therapist was working with him. Mostly, it was responding to the therapist asking if he can feel this or that, or other yes/no questions.
Then later in the evening when I got to see him he adamantly shook his head when I stated that his mind wasn't listening to his body, was it. It was completely unexpected on my part because up until that point, I had only heard that he was answering by nodding or shaking his head. Josh told me that it was the biggest shake of his head that he had seen all day, which made me feel good.
Probably the most touching moment that I saw yesterday was when my Grandmother, Joyce, came in to say goodnight to him. As soon as he heard her voice near him, he reached up to her with his hand. She took his hand and he squeezed hers back and relaxed. I know that moment was such a sigh of relief for her, and me as well. He still knows who we are.
Today, he wasn't quite as awake as he was last night, but I think we were all ok with that because we knew he had his surgery ahead of him and he needed his rest for that.
They took him into the OR around 1:45 to repair his left humerous (upper arm) and right wrist. It took about five hours, but he tolerated it really well and stayed stable the whole time. Unfortunately, they were unable to take the skin grafts to close the wounds in his leg because the plastic surgeon had other commitments this afternoon, so he will have to go under again for that. We were all hoping that they could get that done as well and it would mean one less trip to the OR.
The good news is that his Orthopedic Surgeon was very confident in his ability to use his arm to support himself on something to try to start walking soon. He said that if he were awake, he would have him up tomorrow trying to start therapy. That was very encouraging.
Another ray of sunshine was that his Trauma Surgeon told Linda to start looking for a really good intensive inpatient rehab/therapy facility because he expects that he should be able to transfer him. He suggested starting with Loma Linda. If anybody has any experience in this area and would like to make a suggestion, we are very open to hearing them.
I apologize for not updating last night, I was having trouble getting a wifi signal.
Thank you for all of your prayers and support...They are working.

1 comment:

  1. my self and family would like to wish Dave a full and speedy recovery .I own land near him in the high desert and we need all the sane people we can get up there
    Kevin Ryan

    ReplyDelete