Words of a Fighter

Words of a Fighter

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Another family meeting

We had another family meeting today. Things are progressing well. I was reminded today that, even though it seems like it's been a year since the accident, it's really only been three months. The amount of progress my dad has made in three short months is incredible.
He has seen a neuro-opthamologist and should be getting a new pair of glasses soon. Hopefully that will clear up a lot of his vision issues. They did determine that he is partially blind in his right eye due to cranial nerve damage. Interestingly enough, that's not the eye that had to be re-supported by the titanium plate. That's his left eye, or as he calls it, his good eye.
He has been doing really well in therapy. He should be getting a walker soon and he'll be able to use that to get around rather than a wheelchair. He told me earlier this week that he can feel where the pins and rods are when he is walking and exercising. He said it's really weird.
After the family meeting, we were met by Rydel, his boss at RCH, Mary Lou and Donna, both friends and coworkers. They brought dinner. Panset and lumpia, per my dad's request. For those who don't know, that is the Phillipino version of lo mein and egg rolls. All I have to say is DELICIOUS! Rydel also brought amazing banana bread.
We all ate family style around the kitten table in his unit. It was a wonderful meal with friends and family. We had great conversation and lots of laughs. Thank you, ladies, for that.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Dave,and thanks for the heads up Asha, I now know what I'll try for lunch!
    MMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave I fished with you. I believe it was the Shogun. I have been following your progress. My thoughts have been with you since this happened along with my prayers. There is nothing better than the family and support team you have. Kudos to you and yours for all the hard work and I look forward to someday fishing with you again. Hope you remember me...I'll always remember your kind ways, sense of humor and passion for fishing. The fishing Veterinarian, Dr. Bob Thayer

    ReplyDelete