Words of a Fighter

Words of a Fighter

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Talked on the phone today

On a whim, I decided to call my Dad in his room today. In the past, I've waited for my Grandmother or Linda to call me from his room to speak to him because I never know how he is going to be from day to day. He still has bad days here and there and gets pretty angry.
So, today, I called him up and my Grandfather answered and handed him the phone. We had a very good chat. He was very lucid and made sense the entire time. He was upset about his care through the night and the fact that his nurse kept calling him 'Honey'. He felt that it was degrading and inappropriate, especially since he wasn't a happy patient last night.
He said he knows that he has a lot of work ahead of him in order to recover, but that he's up to it. He can't wait to get better and get the heck out of there. He is able to sit up in his wheelchair now for two hours at a time which is wonderful. When Josh and I were there about a week and a half ago, he was very uncomfortable after about twenty minutes and wanted to go back to bed.
He heard my middle daughter, Cody, in the background and asked to speak to her. She is three, so it was a pretty brief conversation, but there were plenty of "I love you's" and "I miss you's". Then he spoke to my oldest daughter, Cadence. When I mentioned that her first day of school is tomorrow, he knew that she was starting first grade. That was very cool, because as I've said before, often his short term memory isn't too great. He then told her he couldn't believe how big she was and that he remembered when she was just a little baby and they would hang out.
He was aware of this blog. Apparently, word has gotten back to him that I've been keeping it and you are all very impressed with it. That means a lot to me because I have put a lot of time and energy into it. It's as much for him as it is for all of you and I look forward to the day when he can check it out himself.
I will be seeing him on Friday because we have an appointment with his doctors to go over his progress and prognosis along with their treatment plan. At that point, I believe we all intend to address our concerns with his level of care and the attention that he receives (or doesn't receive, actually). Plus, hopefully, we'll have an idea of how much longer he will have to be an inpatient. I am thinking that with the way he has been progressing, hopefully only a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment